In spite of some last minute problems, I completely finished carving the sheet of wood. It's been a challenge to finish it... I thought that I already did the most difficult part last week, but as it turns out, finishing it became a nightmare. The wood kept splinting and breaking. I had to glue some parts back into place and I realised that it wasn't possible to develop the design that I had planned and I, therefore, had to improvise.
As you will be able to observe, if we compare this final design with the sketch on the previous post there are 2 main differences: the final sun-moon carving doesn't look like the drawn sketch and the border of the mask has an opening in the top. I was forced to make these 2 changes because the wood kept breaking into millions of pieces when I tried to make so small details.
Overall it's been an interesting project. There's still the varnishing left to be done, but I can't do it in the apartment where I live right now because the smell won't leave. On a more positive note, I will probably be able to finish it on Friday or Saturday since I will be making a trip to Spain, and therefore I will be able to work in my father's workshop.