Well, final entry on the Peliqueiro matter. It's been a really interesting project. It took me a total of 30 working hours to finish it, but now that I see the outcome, it's been totally worth it.
I used 2 different varnishes for the last touch. A dark varnish for the background and a lighter one for the front. By doing this I managed to stand out a little bit more the front from the background.
Looking forward to the next project!
In spite of some last minute problems, I completely finished carving the sheet of wood. It's been a challenge to finish it... I thought that I already did the most difficult part last week, but as it turns out, finishing it became a nightmare. The wood kept splinting and breaking. I had to glue some parts back into place and I realised that it wasn't possible to develop the design that I had planned and I, therefore, had to improvise.
As you will be able to observe, if we compare this final design with the sketch on the previous post there are 2 main differences: the final sun-moon carving doesn't look like the drawn sketch and the border of the mask has an opening in the top. I was forced to make these 2 changes because the wood kept breaking into millions of pieces when I tried to make so small details.
Overall it's been an interesting project. There's still the varnishing left to be done, but I can't do it in the apartment where I live right now because the smell won't leave. On a more positive note, I will probably be able to finish it on Friday or Saturday since I will be making a trip to Spain, and therefore I will be able to work in my father's workshop.
Hello once again. I wanted to publish this entry yesterday but I ended up forgetting to do it. Anyhow, as you will be able to check bellow, the project keeps moving forward. I decided to pass all Monday working on it, and it really paid off. The Peliqueiro is almost completely carved, the only thing that is left is the top of the mask.
It's really a challenge to carve so small details with the chisels that I own. I've been extremely careful most of the time, but even like that I ended up removing more wood than what I wished for, and therefore I've been forced to use white glue to fix my mistakes. In spite of that, these mistakes are not easily spotted.
My guess is that I have 2 or 3 more hours of carving left. After that, I will sand down the wood and I will apply an oil or a varnish to the wood.
I am back, 3 days later, to keep you updated about the evolution of the carving project. I worked on it on Wednesday, and I managed to advance quite a lot. As you will be able to check bellow, the bottom letters have already been carved and the outline of the Peliqueiro is almost completely carved too.
The problem of this wood is that it splinters. This means that I have to be extremely careful when working with it. I already knew that this was going to happen when I started working with this wood, it's just that I didn't think that it would be so complicated. In fact, I had quite a lot problems to carve the top and bottom letters. If I don't push the chisel deep enough into the wood when creating the outline limit, the wood will crack and splinter all across the board. For some letters, I had to use some white glue to put back in place parts that I didn't want to remove. In spite of that slight problem, the design keeps looking better and better.
After digitalizing Mari and Peliqueiro I felt happy, but still, it seemed that I needed to do something else. The answer to my feeling came on Sunday night. Minutes before falling sleep I had this idea. The idea to craft in the wood the logo of the Peliqueiro. As you can guess, it was difficult falling sleep with all this motivation in my body, I just wanted to start.
Monday. First thing in the morning, coffee. Second thing, wood carving. Bellow, I show you the results of my first day. I'm not a professional in this, in fact, I've only carved 2 times before. Plus, this is supposed to be a present for my father, so I really hope he doesn't decide to visit my webpage.